Countdown to your Newborn Session: 5 Tips to Prepare for your in-home Newborn Session
I am giving away all my secrets here! This is the list of 5 things to do before an in-home session that I give to my clients and it helps keep baby calm so we can start shooting right when I arrive. It has worked almost every time for the past few years!
The most important thing to do is to listen to your baby, so know that these won't work for everyone. I made the list into an easy to follow, time based list, so even through the foggy-sleep deprived state of being a new parent, it can be followed! Know that this is different for multiples or premies, that timing should be based on what you are already doing!
So, here are the 5 simple steps to follow in preparing for your in-home newborn session:
1. MORNING OF SESSION: TURN UP THE HEAT Babies like to be warm (and it is especially important if you are interested in cute naked baby photos). so turn up the heat to at least 73 the morning of your session. Feel free to bring out a space heater as well if you have one!
2. 1 HOUR BEFORE SESSION: KEEP BABY AWAKE Keep baby awake for an hour before the session. It may be hard, but it will make the session go smoother when baby is sleepy!
3. 20 MINUTES BEFORE SESSION: NAKED BABY Change diaper and have baby just in diaper and wrapped in soft blanket before next step.
4. 15 MINUTES BEFORE SESSION: FEED BABY Start to feed baby 15 minutes before session time!
5. DURING THE SESSION: RELAX Try to relax and try not to worry if the plan doesn't
go as planned. Remember, life is what happens when we are busy planning :). You have a precious baby in your life now that needs you, and that is all that matters!